“Sauerkraut will make my internment a little more bearable. It is one of the staples of civilized life that I had taken for granted and now feels to me like a blessed luxury.” ~Cinnamon and Gunpowder by Eli Brown
Sausage and Sauerkraut
2 pounds sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
1 tablespoon caraway seeds (optional)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 apple, diced
1/2 pound bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 large onion, chopped
1 1/2 pounds kielbasa sausage, cut into 1-inch thick slices
- Place the sauerkraut, caraway seeds, brown sugar, and apple into a large saucepan over medium-low heat, and bring the mixture to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, and cook for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Place the bacon and onion into a skillet over medium heat, and cook until the bacon is almost crisp and the onion is beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Stir the bacon mixture into the sauerkraut.
- In the same skillet, brown the kielbasa sausage in the reaming bacon grease until the sausage begins to brown, 10 to 15 minutes; stir into the sauerkraut mixture. Spoon the sauerkraut and sausage mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until bubbling, about 1 hour.