“She filched one anyway, and ate it on her way out. It was stuffed with chopped nuts and fruit and cheese, the crust flaky and still warm from the oven. Eating Ser Amory’s tart made Arya feel daring. Barefoot surefoot lightfoot, she sang under her breath. I am the ghost in Harrenhal.” ~A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin
Modern Arya Tart
Two 17.3-ounce packages frozen puff pastry (4 sheets), thawed
1 egg, beaten
6 ounces soft, fresh goat cheese
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3 medium Gala apples, peeled, quartered, cored, and cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup honey, plus more for garnish
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 cup chopped candied nuts (optional)
- Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll out each puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface to an 11-inch square. Using a 3- to 4-inch round cookie cutter or drinking glass, cut out four rounds from each pastry sheet to make sixteen total. Place four pastry rounds on each of the prepared baking sheets and pierce the dough all over with a fork.
- Using a 3 1/2 inch round cookie cutter or glass, cut out smaller rounds from the center of the remaining 8 rounds, forming rings. Brush the outer 1-inch edge of the solid rounds on the baking sheets with beaten egg, and top each with a pastry ring. Arrange the smaller rounds wherever they fit on the baking sheet. Freeze for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix the cheese, lemon juice, and salt in a bowl, then spread the mixture inside the rings of the frozen pastry rounds. Overlap the apple slices on top.
- Combine the butter and honey in a small bowl, then brush the mixture over the apples. Sprinkle the tarts with the allspice and nuts, if you are using them.
- Bake until the apples are tender and the pastry is golden, about 35 minutes. Place the tartlets on plates. Drizzle a little honey over each and serve warm or at room temperature.