“And she had the cakes. And the pastries, she though, and the chocolates. But the cakes stood as the crowning touch.” ~Savor the Moment by Nora Roberts
Bride’s Cake with Raspberry Filling and White Chocolate Frosting
Ingredients (Cake and Filling)
Solid vegetable shortening for greasing the pans
Flour for dusting the pans
1 package (18.25 oz) plain white cake mix
1 cup whole milk
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
1 cup fresh raspberries, rinsed and drained
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 9-inch round cake pans, then dust with flour. Shake out the excess flour. Set the pans aside.
- Place the cake mix, milk, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula if needed. The batter should look well blended. Divide the batter into the prepared pans, smoothing out. Place the pans in the oven side by side.
- Bake the cakes until they are light brown and spring back when lightly pressed with your finger, 27 to 29 minutes. Remove the pans from the oven and place them on wire racks to cool for 10 minutes. Run a dinner knife around the edge of the cakes and invert each onto a rack, then invert them again onto another rack so that the cakes are right side up. Allow to cool completely, 30 minutes more.
- Prepare the White Chocolate Frosting (Recipe Below)
- Place one cake layer, right side up, on a serving platter. Spread the top with a thin layer of the White Chocolate frosting, then spread with the raspberry jam, spreading the jam with a spatula up to 1 inch from the cake edge. Place the second layer, right side up, on top of the jam. Spread frosting on top and sides of the cake with clean, smooth strokes.
- Garnish the cake with the fresh raspberries.
White Chocolate Frosting
6 ounces white chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, at room temperature
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- Place the white chocolate in a small saucepan and melt over low heat, 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove the pan from the heat and let the chocolate cool.
- Place the cream cheese and butter in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low seed until well combined, 30 seconds. Stop the machine. Add the melted white chocolate and blend on low for 30 seconds. Add the vanilla and confectioners’ sugar and blend on low speed for 30 seconds more. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat until the frosting is fluffy, 1 minute more.
- Use to frost the top and sides of the cake of your choice.